What is Low Level Laser Therapy?
Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT), also known as cold laser therapy or photobiomodulation, is a non-invasive medical treatment that uses low-intensity lasers or light-emitting diodes (LEDs) to stimulate cellular function and promote healing in the body. The term “low-level” refers to the intensity of the laser, which is not strong enough to heat or damage the tissues.
How does Low Level Laser Therapy work?
It works by delivering low-level light energy to the cells, which stimulates the production of ATP (adenosine triphosphate), a molecule that is essential for cellular energy metabolism. This, in turn, enhances the cells’ ability to repair and regenerate themselves. Laser therapy relieves stiffness promoting relaxation of muscle tissue, and increases local blood circulation.
LLLT is considered safe and completely painless. It can be used instead of acupuncture needles to stimulate acupuncture points for those who have a needle phobia, or for those areas sensitive to touch.
It improves the body’s functionality overall in the following ways:
- Relieves pain
- Increases blood flow
- Relaxes muscle tension
- Promotes tissue repair and softens scar tissue
- Reduces inflammation and oxidative damage
Low Level Laser Therapy (LLT) is used to treat a variety of health conditions, including:
- Fertility optimisation for egg and sperm (see below for more info)
- Pain including acute pain, chronic pain, breakthrough pain, bone pain, soft tissue (nociceptive) pain, and nerve (neuropathic) pain.
- Sprains, strains, fractures
- Repair of superficial injuries such as wounds and ulcers
- Post-operative wounds, tissue regeneration, scar tissue
- Muscle and joint pain, muscle spasm, tendonitis,
- Musculoskeletal conditions; arthritis, back pain, sports injuries, frozen shoulder
- Disc herniation
- Minor nerve damage, and carpal tunnel syndrome
Low Level Laser (LLLT) for Fertility
Laboratory studies have repeatedly shown the effectiveness of Low Level Laser Therapy for fertility due to enhanced mitochondrial activity and ATP production, increased blood flow and the reduction of oxidative damage. It is frequently used as part of the Crane Clinic’s Fertility Programs. In particular is can help for common fertility issues:
- Painful periods and endometriosis
- Hormonal imbalances
- Low ovarian reserve or poor egg quality
- Low sperm count or sperm quality
- Multiple implantation failures
What type of lasers are used at the Crane Clinic?
There are two lasers used at the Crane Clinic.
- Omega Laser from the UK who have more than 25 years of research, developing and manufacturing experience in low level laser therapy.
- Quantum Scaler Wave Laser from the USA has been developed over 10 years ago and is being used widely in the NFL and by the USPS Tour de France team chiropractor.
Omega Laser Machine
Quantum Scaler Wave Laser